Friday, May 4, 2018

Friday Coffee Talk (May)



Welcome to Coffee Talk!


Shamefully, it's been while since I've joined in on the Ultimate Coffee Date or the Friday Five.   But, here I am and I'm ready to chat.

A lot has been going on in the last few months; marathon training, mountain hiking, sandy beaching, and running a few half marathons were among the daily grind. 

Have a seat, pour up a large mug, settle in and let's talk. 





Over Coffee...

You'd hear that a highlight of my spring was hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains.  It was a last minute spring break decision I let our middle son make.  It made sense as we really enjoyed hiking in Utah last year.  Hiking around the Gatlinburg area did not disappoint.  We traversed four trails over two days, collecting 17 miles with an ascent and descent of 5,500 feet (what goes up must come down).  Stream crossings, snow, waterfalls, caves, excessive mud, inches of ice -- we experienced it all.  Plus we ran a race on the third day; me a half and he a 10k.  I admit, we talked smack about hiking part of the Appalachian Trail next year.  Hmm....

{ ... I'm speechless ... }


Over Coffee...

I'd tell you I was grateful to spend a few April days in the Florida Panhandle.  Instead of my usual beach side running route, I ran twice at Conservation Park.  Not only are there beautiful paved trails with boardwalks and swampland, there are miles and miles of packed dirt trails.  I don't think I've ever run on dirt before, unless it was a short section of a race.  Although it was hot, the dirt felt much easier on my body...even after 16 miles.
 

The dirt was more like hard packed sand.

Over Coffee...

I'd admit I was weak.  Although the price for a discontinued iPod Shuffle is now astronomical, I just couldn't tolerate running with my iPhone for music any longer.  Believe me, I tried.  It turned off when too cold.  It turned off when too sweaty hot.  It changed to Japanese language for reasons unknown.   It was heavy.  Now, all is right with the world again with the little postage-sized square clipped to my top.

Can you even see the tiny Shuffle?

Over Coffee...

I'd try not to hyperventilate while telling you there's only 4 weeks until my downhill marathon. My Fly Delta app says check-in is available in 27 days.  EEK.  Now it's feeling real.  Training has been going well though.  In fact, my marathon training blessed me with a shiny new PR at the recent Tear Drop half marathon. Unfortunately, that race left me needing extra recovery time. Lots of extra recovery time...



Missing:   ELEV LOSS  2,570   (aka OUCH)

Over Coffee...

You'd be able to see I'm giddy about the water skiing season only days away.  With an extra cold Winter, I wasn't able to start early like I did last year.  I'm ready, but then again the excessive worrier in me is afraid I'll do something stupid to affect my marathon performance.  That same worry is keeping my bike in the house on its trainer.  Perhaps I should roll myself in bubble wrap, stay in bed and call it a day.


What would you tell me over coffee?



I'm linking with the lovely Coco and Deborah!
Be sure to stop in for coffee on Saturday and chat.
www.got2run4me.com

I'm also joining on the Friday Five 2.0 linkup
Stop by and see what everyone is talking about.







32 comments:

  1. I did not know the ipod shuffle was still around! I always have my phone while running for safety and of course selfies :) I am looking forward to all those water skiing posts again! Thanks so much for joining us for coffee great to have you back again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't do without my Shuffle. I tried. I do still wear my phone for safety purposes, especially at distance races, but it's tucked away in my RooSport pocket until the end.

      Delete
  2. I have the waterproof version of the iPod shuffle! Altho I see the price of those has gone up astronomically too!

    I love that you found those trails near the beach--were you worried about gators?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too much about gators although they had signs posted around the swampy areas. I had seen a snake out there the year before. This time, my sister encountered one but I didn't.

      Delete
  3. I totally get that feeling like you don't want to do anything to rock the boat before a race! And don't you dare come near me if you're sick, either.

    My half in July has the same elevation loss. My HALF. But I seem to do well with a net downhill race (and they're never really all the way downhill, now, are they?). Then again, while it may be shoved into 13.1 miles, it's also only 13.1 miles. :)

    I read so much about hiking the AT last summer. Sadly it doesn't come close to us. I have no desire to do the whole thing (and it might be grounds for divorce if I did), but I'd love to day hikes on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That elevation graph is from the Tear Drop half. REVEL descends almost 5,000 feet (GULP). I think it would be fun to do part of the AT. I'm not sure how many nights I could spend on it. Maybe one... Maybe none...

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh! The picture of that elevation loss scares me! I know that you will kill it though.

    I wish I had kept my Shuffle - it really is a great device!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't even feel you are wearing a Shuffle. I'm so sad they discontinued them. They all eventually succumbed to my sweat over the years. Or my washing machine.

      Delete
  5. That hiking trip in the Smoky Mountains sounds amazing! And yeah, I really do feel like wrapping myself in bubble wrap any time a race gets close so I understand that one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paranoia really sets in before a goal race, doesn't it? I need to calm down. LOL.

      Delete
  6. #facepalm I totally forgot about the Ipod Shuffle thing. My current one is still functioning, but every now and then has 'memory lapses.' I should just bite the bullet and get a replacement (for top dollar, no less), just so I'm prepared for when this one officially bites the (musical) bust. Like you, I am spoiled by it's small stature, and would go nutzo with a bulky phone on my arm (or elsewhere).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can (and do) wear my phone without its heavy case either tucked in a RooSport on my lower abdomen or in the side pocket of a skirt. But it isn't used for music and stays there until the race is over If it does something weird, I'm blissfully unaware.

      Delete
  7. I used my iPhone for music, then I was running out of memory for my pictures. I waited and waited, then finally got an iPod Nano last year. I actually like it now since it fits in a pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my kids still have their Nanos! That is actually a very good backup plan when this Shuffle bites the dust.

      Delete
  8. I get nervous about biking outdoors too - honestly the more I bike, the more I worry - but I love it so much more outdoors then indoors. I trying finding groups to ride with, it makes me feel safer at least

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy cycling outdoors. But, last year I developed some aches and pains from what I thought was cycling. So I'm trying to be careful before the marathon.

      Delete
  9. You did a lot of hiking before your race! Good training for running in CO...I think a lot of elevation gain is probably the next best thing to altitude training, but unfortunately I don't have any science to back that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely hope the steep descent on those hikes will aid me during this marathon!

      Delete
  10. Your hiking adventures look fabulous. No worries on the extra recovery from that epic half. You're going to come back stronger just in time for your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The altitude is worrying me a bit. I remember if felt tough in Utah last year and we weren't nearly as high.

      Delete
  11. I think it's great that you and your son got a hiking trip in, with the bonus of a race! I didn't realize you were looking for a Shuffle - I have one that I never use that I should send you as a backup. Thanks to the SPIbelt and the pockets on my running skirts I've gotten used to running with my phone. How nice that you can get back to waterskiing! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can run using my phone for music. But, I'm just an old creature of habit. I need that little Shuffle. LOL.

      Delete
  12. I don't ski but I'm excited about being out on the water. Today I saw a bunch of people on the water in those big swan rafts all tied together. About 2 dozen of them! So what exactly is a cold winter in Alabama?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had two snow storms events this year. That's pretty rare.

      Delete
  13. We've talked about hiking part of the Appalachian trail too! I think it would be amazing. I just need my husband to come home to stay so we can start making that plan. :)

    Where in the panhandle in that Conservation Park? I lived in the Pensacola area for 3 years and hadn't heard of it. I ran some in the Blackwater Forest out there. It was pretty nice.

    I'm definitely interested in how you do on that upcoming race. My ultra in October also has a lot of descent and I know that's going to beat up my quads. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conservations Park is in Panama City Beach. I believe it is a new trail system. I went for the first time last year...or maybe it was 2016.

      Delete
  14. Over coffee I'd tell you your Smokey Mountain photo is stunning and makes me think about taking up hiking. That my quads are killing after working with a new trainer and then doing 6 miles this morning. That bike riding sounds good right now. Thanks for such an inspirational blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hike much as there just isn't anywhere I want to hike around here. But, I do love hiking in scenic locations. Next time I think I need to prepare before doing any strenuous hiking though.

      Delete
  15. Oh wow, a month already?

    I also forgot about the Ipod. Do you know why it was discontinued. I have one and don't use it as much because I rarely run with music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why the Shuffle was discontinued, I assume because of low demand. But, the active community is definitely missing it!!

      Delete
  16. Your vacations look absolutely lovely! Apparently I need to add the Great Smoky Mountains to my travel bucket list, wow!

    You are going to do amazing in your marathon, I can't wait to see how it goes. Of course the nerves kick in, but you have been working so hard, I don't think you'll need any bubble wrap! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not be disappointed with a trip to the Smoky Mountains. There is so much to see and do in the surrounding areas.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!